Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Why I Will No Longer Post to OpEdNews

For those seemingly few readers at OEN who appreciate my commentary which I post 1-2 time a month, I'm sorry to say that I will no longer be blogging at OEN. Here's why.

First, as a former college teacher, there's nothing I enjoy more than healthy, respectful, well-argued discourse about the issues of our time. As a writer, I also enjoy sharing my thoughts, which derive from a decidedly feminist, left perspective. My pieces often call for serious research because I believe in facts, data, and accuracy. Sometimes they're a reflection of my politics, which in turn reflect my values. I think a lot about the subjects and issues I write about, and I share my thoughts and ideas in what I always hope will be an atmosphere of constructive, lively, and again -- respectful -- exchange.

Sadly, unlike other fora in which my work is published, that has not been the case at OEN. The feedback I have received has largely been hostile, aggressive, uninformed, and insulting.

Don't get me wrong. As a journalist I can take the heat when it offers a point of view worthy of consideration and when it is expressed in a respectful way.

But I have been at this a long time. I'm a woman of a certain age with a lot of experience who takes my responsibility as a commentator very seriously. My copious followers in other venues value what I have to say, even though they sometimes disagree with me. When they do, they tell me politely.

I am no longer willing to allow toxic people into my life, nor am I willing to suffer fools gladly when I am donating my work, my time, and dare I say, my talent. My reward for writing commentary doesn't rely on agreement, but it does seek civility. In the absence of that, I can no longer continue to post on OEN.

If you wish to continue reading my work, you have 3 options: go to Daily Kos, go to my blog page on my website (www.elayne-clift.com), or ask to be added to my listserv which I send monthly, just tell me why you want to be added. Thank you.


Source: Why I Will No Longer Post to OpEdNews

No comments:

Post a Comment