Wednesday, August 31, 2016

3 years of daily blogging

image

This past Sunday was the 3rd anniversary of this blog. That is 3 years of me writing something here every day (I think I've only missed 2 days in the past 3 years). So I have now written almost 1,100 blog posts.

Admittedly, they weren't all masterpieces. But that doesn't really matter. To do good work, I think you have to be prolific and show up every day.

The big change this year was that I "unbranded" this blog and started writing just under my personal name, as opposed to Architect This City. I got some initial pushback when I did that, but I continue to believe it was the right decision for what I am trying to achieve here.

I recently had someone ask me if there was any change in traffic after the switch. And the answer is no. If anything, traffic increased. 

Over the last year, this blog received about 225,000 page views. Of course, this doesn't include the 14,000 or so people who read via email subscription and Tumblr, and never actually land on this site.

But honestly, I don't care about the numbers anymore. I used to. But not anymore. I blog because it:

- Forces me to stay current on the topics that matter to me

- Allows me to clarify my thoughts in a way that thinking alone can't do

- Holds me publicly accountable for the things I say and the stances I take

- Connects me with people I would never otherwise meet

- Exposes me to new business opportunities

- Gives me a distribution channel for discussion and sharing

- Allows me to learn from readers who know more than I do

- Feeds my desire to create things (creating > consuming)

- Allows me to exert my personal independence (I write what I want here)

- Promotes greater transparency and, hopefully, better city building

I could go on, but those are some of the most salient points.

At the same time, the world of blogging and social media is all about giving first. So I do try to curate content and posts that I think would be valuable to the readership of this blog. If there's something else you'd like to see on here, I am always open to suggestions.

Thanks for reading! Regular scheduled programming will resume tomorrow. And yes, those are my old skateboard decks hanging on the wall behind my desk.


Source: 3 years of daily blogging

No comments:

Post a Comment