Monday, April 4, 2016

My Words Inspired My Friend's Art

Editor's Note: Each week this month, we're featuring a response to one of the BlogHer Writing Lab prompts. Want to be inspired by writing prompts? They're posted at the beginning of every month in the Writing Lab. Want to be the next featured writer? Join the Writing Lab's Facebook group and look for the Pitch Please call for posts. --Mel

Today's prompt: Have you ever had another blogger write about you? How did you feel reading the post?

For most of us, the most unnerving part of writing is when you wait for the reactions from those who are reading your work. Is it well written? Are there areas where it could have been better? The satisfaction comes when someone has really read your work and appreciates it. Likes it. Or shares it among their friends, or as in blogs, followers.

I had created my blog This Is My Life! in 2014 with a lot of hope and plans, but didn't know what I was going to do with it. I shared two or three posts, and then I forgot about the space! My passions came to a standstill.

Then last August, one of my best friends instilled the confidence in me to write and share what I wrote. And ever since then, I have been having a good time writing and sharing poems, reviews of books, my thoughts and some short stories.

I have made some really good friends via that WordPress blog. I enjoy reading their blog posts, and they always motivate me. Along this journey, I met a very sweet person: Sarah.

Sarah has a wonderful blog called Secret Expeditions, where she shares her paintings on acrylic and her sketches which are inspired by masters. She is also writing a unique, animated vampire story. Count Dracula in her story is Count Harecula. And I really enjoy reading those.

One day, I picked one of her paintings and wrote a poem about it. There was something in that work of hers that made me think of the word abandonment. She was surprised and shared the poem on her blog.

The next thing I know, she picked up an earlier poem of mine and blessed it with a visual depiction. The moment I saw a pingback I thought she had reblogged my poem. When I went on to check it out, I had one of the best surprises of my life.

There it was, with a very sweet introduction to my blog and me, a drawing to visualize my words.

My blog isn't something known to many people around me, so my ear-to-ear grin that day confused so many people. I felt very happy. The fact that she had thought of something like that and took the time to read those lines, understand the pain and feelings of my words, and draw it, made me feel awestruck. I was in a trance!

Her gesture showed me how the blogging world is different from the face-to-face world in so many ways.

How often do you see someone appreciating your work? How often do you get to hear that our work inspired someone else to do something? We have done this kind of cross-over blogging twice by now. Crossing boundaries between India and Germany. Crossing over continents!

We suddenly feel so connected, emotionally. These posts are the connection of thoughts and feelings, between words and brushes.

I have found myself a wonderful friend and muse, whose art make my fingers yearn to put down words. We both hope to keep enjoying such collaborations and create more works like these. You never know when something could hit you with inspiration! Blog on ladies!

Have you ever had someone write about you on their blog?

SyedaFR

Art by Secret Expeditions


Source: My Words Inspired My Friend's Art

No comments:

Post a Comment