Thursday, August 11, 2016

Daily Blogging: My Thoughts and Experiences

What happens if you post to your blog every day for 30 days?

That's the question I posed myself and set out to answer.

Well, we're not quite at 30 days yet but I'd like to share some of my thoughts on this experiment.

I've already written about how daily posting makes writing a lot easier.

You get into the habit of constantly coming up with new ideas.

Before, I'd struggle to think of topics to write about 2-3 times per week.

Now, I've got more ideas than I can handle.

And keep in mind, these aren't just writing ideas. I also came up with multiple types of businesses I could create in the future.

While I don't have time to pursue every idea right now, they are all written down for later.

I'm sure there will come a time where I'm grateful to have such a large folder of possible blog posts and businesses.

Another benefit to daily posting is the added interaction with you.

You've started leaving comments more often which is both motivating and interesting.

I enjoy interacting with readers because it gives me a better idea what you'd like to see.

I've also discovered some new blogs because someone left a few insightful comments.

Inertia Will Hurt Ya and Charles Sledge are the ones that immediately come to mind.

All of those points make daily posting sound like a great choice.

However, there are also some downsides.

In fact, the downsides mean that I won't be sticking to this schedule after this experiment.

Negatives of Daily Posting Time

I enjoy blogging but it does consume quite a few hours per week.

And unlike writing sales letters, I'm not sure I'll get much of a ROI.

At best, it will increase my income indirectly by boosting my Google traffic for product reviews.

Writing about products is a decent way to make money.

Writing about your thoughts and opinions is not.

Stress

This is very much related to the time aspect.

I'm busy.

Squeezing in a daily post doesn't always come easy.

I've written some of these posts while on my daily commute but that isn't exactly optimal.

This experiment has caused some stress for me.

It's not too bad because it has also increased my productivity.

When you're on a tight schedule, you automatically cut down on time-wasting activities.

Quality of Posts (images, editing, etc.)

I hope these daily thoughts of mine have been insightful and helped you in some way.

And based on the feedback I'm getting from you, they have.

There hasn't been a problem with the quality of my work in that sense.

However, I've spent far less time editing these posts.

Plus, I've only added 1 image per post rather than using images to split up the text.

You'd be surprised how much time that saves per post.

Keyword Research

Keyword research was never the most important part of my writing process.

But I usually had a keyword in mind that I was trying to rank for.

I would quickly check whether I thought I could rank on the first page of Google and then write a post.

I'm not doing any of that right now.

Most of these posts don't even have a specific keyword that they're targeting.

My HostGator review is the only exception I can think of right now.

Long-Term Growth

Of course, long-term growth would easily make all of those negative aspects worth it.

We'll find out whether daily posting is drastically better than publishing 2-3 well-written and researched posts in the coming weeks and months.

Does Daily Posting Increase Blog Traffic?

This won't be the last time I write about this little test I am running.

I'm hoping to be able to show you ranking and traffic stats in a few months that show an increase in traffic with the extra posting.

However, that will take some time.

Other than the extra comments, there was no immediate traffic boost.

Perhaps if I looked at it more closely, I'd find more information.

At first glance, traffic has stayed roughly flat.

I say at first glance because I haven't had time to look into the details.

I've got a lot of reviews on this site and how much traffic they get from Google is largely out of my control.

Even if my search engine rankings stay roughly the same, Google traffic varies greatly from week to week.

I assume this is caused by different amounts of marketing done by each company.

The more they advertise, the more people will search for product information.

And that's how many guys land on RPR the first time.

Should You Start Posting Daily?

That's a very open question and not one I can answer definitively.

However, I will recommend that you try daily posting at least for a while.

If you find that it's too much for you and takes away from your other projects, by all means cut back.

Once these 30 days are over, I'm going to get into the habit of daily writing but not necessarily posting.

That'a how I hope to achieve a good balance between quality and quantity.

It will give me some more freedom to work on longer posts and sales letter for my niche sites.

That's all for today.

Until next time,

James


Source: Daily Blogging: My Thoughts and Experiences

No comments:

Post a Comment