Sunday, July 17, 2016

Blogging for a food junkie

By Funda Gumush

Whilst mulling over what to write this week, a colleague/friend and I got to talking about various things and he suggested I should write a blog… That was actually a brilliant idea, because I did in fact have one. One that I began on the suggestion of another learned friend. The problem was, however, that it was a few years ago, and although I remembered that the site was on WordPress, I could not for the life of me remember the details and how to locate the page… memory loss!

Once I got home that evening, I set about trying to locate my blog. Thankfully, I had downloaded the application to my iPad. I know we whinge constantly about modern technology and all the bad effects, but seriously, I don't think I could live without mine. I accidentally left my iPad at my mum's house one evening and I was literally itching! I confess I am a junkie for modern technology and completely lost without it. Sometimes I wonder if I should join a therapy group and imagine standing up before the group saying, "Hi, my name is… and I'm addicted to the Internet!"

Anyhow, back to the blog… I was able to find mine through the app. I began looking through it and chortled at how simplistic it was. But from what I gather, blogs are not meant to be literary pieces or contenders for the Pulitzer. They are there to provide a forum for something specific and to help you share your thoughts and ideas about a particular idea in the hope that there are others who do the same.

So what's my blog about? Baking of course, what else! As I have mentioned on several occasions, I began baking as a form of therapy and it has evolved into a little side business, which I now have with a good friend of mine, who not only bakes but cooks wondrous meals as well. We joined forces so that maybe one day, we could realise a lifelong dream. But finances and other issues have meant that we have put that on the back-burner for now.

As I read through my blog, I realised that, at one point, all I could think about was baking. It also made me homesick as two of the entries were about a trip to London, where I attended two baking classes and went to the Cake and Bake show in Earls Court. That was the highlight of my trip I think, because if any of you have ever been to any foodie show, you will know what is on offer there. The 'icing on the cake' (excuse the pun) for me was meeting my cake hero, Eric Lanlard, the famous patissier. And as a result of our meeting and my tweeting about it, he follows me on Twitter now! Yes, little old me!

If there's two things I have learnt this week, it will be to bake more (even though the heat outside makes me want to die inside) and to write more. Baking and writing help to channel emotions. Think of blogging like keeping a diary, but one that you will share with others… It puts your thoughts into perspective, to escape from your surroundings, and hopefully encourages others to participate. It opens you up to a different world. Try it. You might like it.


Source: Blogging for a food junkie

No comments:

Post a Comment